Wednesday, February 17, 2010

. . .What we did

Shortly after the previous post, 8 months ago, I decided that maybe we would have to just do away with naps. That’s not to say that they didn’t need them. So I would try to put them down for naps by reading them stories as usually, trying to select LONG books. If they fell asleep great! If, not, I would just let them out to play. “Quiet time” didn’t work because they would not stay quiet and would get into mischief as seen in the previous post. I was sad to give up naps but was glad to not have to clean up as many messes. They still pulled some of their usual tactics but it has been a good change for everyone.

So we continue to live, and learn, and love ‘em!

5 comments:

Kristyn said...

We lost naps in our house a looong time ago. It was a sad, sad time. We don't really do quiet time either, for the exact same reason. Although I keep thinking I need it!! I'm not sure how I can get him to stay in there for a little while. That's when I let him watch a little movie! :)

Alan said...

I'm thinking of instating naps around here... :)

Annessa B. said...

Ah, what a sad day! Such a hard decision to make, but I had one that did away with naps early, too. She just didn't require as much sleep.

Linda said...

Now I am feeling lucky that 3 of my 4 kids were great nappers. Spencer didn't get to have as good of a nap schedule because he started 'babyschool' ( translate:early intervention program) when he was exactly one year old. Which was 22 years ago today. Since right now is already tomorrow. Your kids are precious. Napless wonders!

Linda said...

at least HERE it is tomorrow.